The Medium Is Not the (Only) Message
A Workshop-Conversation to Explore How Interactive Storytelling Tools Can Support Community Voices and Values
Thursday, February 16, 2017 – 9:15 am – 12:20 pm
University of Victoria, MacLaurin Building, D115 Smart Classroom
RSVP to email@example.com by Friday, February 10, 4 pm, to reserve a spot
To introduce representatives from Vancouver Island campuses and community members to new digital storytelling tools. To generate ideas for how interactive media can support community partnerships and engagement through research and educational initiatives.
5-minute demos of interactive storytelling tools and projects, followed by a Q&A and exploration of how to use these tools and techniques to help your organization, discipline or project. Final plenary will discuss key lessons, challenges and opportunities.
8:45 Demo set-ups
9:00 Coffee, brunch, check-in
9:30 Games for Change: Interactive Narratives as Tools for Education (Workshop)
- Ashley Blacquiere, UVic & VIU: the social power of digital games
- Andrew Farris, Chris Reid, OnThisSpot: historical walking tour app
10:20 BREAK — Coffee, snacks, demos
10:30 Beyond the Screen: The Power of Participatory and Virtual Reality Video (Workshop)
- Crystal Tremblay, UVic: collaborative video production
- Maureen Bradley, UVic: 360° virtual-reality filmmaking
11:20 BREAK — Coffee, snacks, demos
11:30 How Can Interactive Storytelling Connect Campus and Community? (Plenary)
- Sarah Fletcher, Royal Roads & RbD Lab: digital storytelling at the Resilience by Design Lab
- Jennifer Mullett, VIU-Community Scholar: principles of community-engaged research
12:20 Networking & Hands-On Demos
This interactive workshop is offered by the new UVic Digital Storytelling and Social Simulation Lab, based in the Department of Writing, which supports a network of researchers, artists and community partners, including the Community Mapping Collaboratory, the Inter-Cultural Association and the Songhees Nation.